Gratitude and Glasses

Looking for my glasses they were perched  on top of my head the whole time. Gratitude is just like that. Off we go looking for things to do or buy to bring us  happiness, peace and contentment .... yet everything we need is right in front of our faces. There’s no need to be a lottery winner, go off on world cruise or buy a brand new car to be happy. That’s marketing. The truth is happiness comes as a result of a cheerful  message from my best friend first thing in the morning,  a cup of coffee that tastes just right, a convenient parking space near the shop, or maybe finding a pound coin in my pocket so I can use one of those  tethered up shopping carts outside certain supermarkets.

Reflecting on gratitude turns my mediocre day into a pleasant day. It’s still raining, the dog's  still dragging mud into the kitchen, yet  once I look for good things the annoying things disappear.

As time goes on I appreciate life's tiny treasures. A book I enjoy;  a smile from someone; my legs being strong enough so I can still run  and of course my kids and grandkids who keep me laughing about the absurdity of my life sometimes. 

So today I'll count what's present rather than be annoyed by what’s missing.

 Today I’m grateful  I found my glasses on my head before I  ask someone else if they've seen them and feel a plonker when they tell me they are on my head.

Gratitude isn’t about having everything I need, it’s about having enough, noticing each day and acknowledging that I'm here, fit and healthy with family, friends and people I care about and who care about me.





.  

 

Comments

Popular Posts